Monday, November 19, 2007

Change #2


One of my favorite ministry experiences actually came as a volunteer. I was a part of getting Young Life started in Northern Kentucky (right across the Ohio River from Cincinnati). The Area Director sent me to a school that had never had this ministry before. Beechwood High School (go tigers!). A small school with a huge football program (I think they've lost count of the number of state championships they've won). I walked into this school cold. It was a year before I met a kid who would actually talk to me. This kid brought his friends around and soon we were taking folks to camp and running weekly club and campaigners. Things grew fast and it was awesome. I became extremely close to a group of guys. They were Juniors and Seniors and primed to change their school (which they did... if anyone from Beechwood reads this and is thankful for YL being at their school, you need to call some of these guys and thank them). Well, those high school guys are now 27 and 28 years old and have kids. It makes me feel old when some one I "ministered" to now has a baby, or a house, or a wife, or (insert anything else grown up here). One of these guys just had a kid and named him Spike. Seriously, Spike. Now, if you knew this guy, you wouldn't be surprised (and hopefully many of you will know him someday when his films become critically and financially successful). I don't want to get all "Lion King" on you but it really is a circle. We have impact on others, who have impact on others, who have impact on others, etc. My friend is now working for one of the guys who had a huge impact in my life. It's funny to think that my friend would never be working for this mentor of mine if it hadn't been for the mentor himself. Things change, things grow, things become different, but we are a catalyst for that change. Change doesn't just "happen" to us.

No comments: